Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Of paths and dreams



Man without dreams is like a bird without wings
Man without dreams is also a man without hope.

How true these 2 simple lines speak.
Sadly, I dream of dreams that few would believe to be realistic, but I am nothing without my dreams.

Since I was little, I have been nothing but a dreamy kid with countless teachers that cited Daphne as " a quiet and pleasant pupil, but otherwise dreamy" in their various formation of sentence construed in my "Teacher parent meetings", and my report cards.

Who could blame me for wanting to retreat into my little world of dreams?
The perfect world, far away from all that harsh cruel world out there that truly believes time waits for no man, and it is absolutely frivolous to flitter all that precious time, spent purely on dreams.

Funny how roads and paths were routes designed ideally to smoothen one's journey planned by some smarty pants who believed that the road/path is the best possible way that EVERYONE should travel on.
I am often pleased to catch the sight of unsightly desire paths (A term in landscape architecture used to describe a path that isn't designed, but rather is worn casually away by people finding the shortest distance between two points)

Off hand, I remember seeing a distinct path on a plot of empty grass land near the Tampines MRT station. A sign that screams "Keep off from grass" at a building called Southpoint located at Tanjong Pagar, and a tiny little path just right behind my office, that has ideally been replaced with stone slabs to cover the unsightly over trodden patch of grass/path.

These paths simply means to me that I am not alone in my choice of routes and path.
There are like minded people around, I just need time to find them.
It is my dream to walk the less conventional path, and it is dismal however, that those whose opinions that I hold close to my heart, believe that my dreams are merely whimsical shouts of attention.
Disheartening.